May is Military Appreciation Month, and there are lots of groups in Texas showing their esteem for the veteran and military community through a wide range of events. As a small part of our ongoing commitment to Support Our Heroes, we thought we’d share a few:
- North Texas Military Ball Saturday, May 4 (Dallas) The 55th Annual North Texas Military Ball takes place Saturday, May 4, from 5 to 11:30 p.m. at the Sheraton Dallas Hotel, located at 400 North Olive Street, in Dallas. You must purchase tickets in advance to attend. Click here for more information or to purchase tickets.
- Cinco de Mayo Veterans Event Saturday, May 4 (Rowland) Veterans, military members and their families are encouraged to attend the Cinco de Mayo Veterans Event at the Chris Kyle Veterans Center May 4, from 3 to 6 p.m. The center is located at 10600 Dunham Road in Roanoke. Attendees will have an opportunity to learn about the different veteran and military service providers in their area—traditional and alternative.
Additionally, a support group for veterans dealing with substance abuse also takes place at the Chris Kyle Veterans Center each first and third Thursday of the month, beginning at 6:30 p.m. The next meeting takes place May 16. The meetings are open to all veterans hoping to beat substance abuse.
- Veterans Benefit Fair Saturday, May 11 (Houston) The Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center in Houston will hold a veterans benefit fair Saturday, May 11, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. for veterans, military members and their families. The fair will cover the various federal benefits and application procedures. The center is located at 2002 Holcombe Blvd. For more information, contact Jim Mickler: (512) 417-3757, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- LinkedIn Seminar for Veterans May 14 (Rowland) LeaderQuest Dallas will hold a seminar on Tuesday, May 14, for job-seeking veterans hoping to make the most of their LinkedIn profiles. The Seminar will take place at the Veterans Resource and Outreach Center, located at 4210 Industrial street—Building 100, in Rowland.
- Inaugural Veterans Parade Saturday, May 18 (Corsicana) The City of Corsicana will hold its inaugural veterans parade on Saturday, May 18—Armed Forces Day. Corsicana is located about an hour south of Dallas. The parade, beginning at 10 a.m., will start at the Navarro County Courthouse, located in downtown Corsicana. Read more here.
- Air Hogs Military Appreciation Day Saturday, May 18 (Grand Prairie) The Grand Prairie Air Hogs Military Appreciation Day event will be Saturday, May 18, from 6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. at 1600 Lone Star Parkway, in Grand Prairie. Admission is free for veterans. For more information, contact Phil Foster: (980) 475-5934, President@AusaNorthTexas.org.
- Veteran Entrepreneur Training Program, May 29-31(San Antonio) VETS 19 will hold a business development conference Wednesday, May 29, through Friday, May 31, for veterans wishing to start their own businesses that contract with the federal government. The conference will take place at Marriott Rivercenter in downtown San Antonio, located at 101 Bowie Street. Click here for more information or to register for the event.